Thursday, March 18, 2010

Breastfeeding for my Health?

I have barely had time to think let alone sit down and type these past few weeks. Apparently just when you realize that your family has been really healthy through the winter you will spend the month of March first battling croup in the 2 younger ones and then 4 out of the 6 family members will all have the stomach flu. It certainly has been an adventure.

I have been so happy to have some warm days so that I could finally open the windows and air out my plague infested home.

All I have to say is thank God for breastfeeding! It doesn't matter if you are nursing 1 or 4, when your child is sick it is so reassuring that what little they are keeping down it is something that is doing great things for their body. Plus, in Peylyn's case it was breastfeeding that I believe probably helped to keep her well through this stomach flu. Some how her and I managed to dodge that bullet. Would it be strange to say that I think that breastfeeding maybe did help me as well? I think that when I have sick people in the house I almost become more calm. I just stop everything and focus on that person. I don't care what the house looks like or how many dishes are in the sink, I just focus on getting that person better. So Taj was #2 in the house to get sick and we just layed around and napped and nursed as he wanted. So if stress weakens the immune system well then maybe relaxing and nursing my babies helped to boost mine.

Perry is always asking why I never catch all of these lovely illnesses that the kids drag home from school and I always joke because I never share drinks with the kids (it is my own personal thing that I think sharing drinks with anyone is gross, I don't even share with my husband) and all the antioxidants in my nightly glass of wine. Now I will have to add that breastfeeding keeps me healthy as well.

Happily everyone is finally healthy again and things are getting back to normal (whatever that is). We have had beautiful weather this week and I was so happy to finally be outside soaking up the sun and making some vitamin D.

No comments:

Post a Comment