Monday, March 29, 2010

My T-Shirt Obsession

It is funny how a necessity has turned into a full blown obsession. A little over a year ago I decided that I wanted to try and sew my own cloth diapers. Well, about 5 minutes into looking into this online I realized that I could not afford the materials that these sites were telling me to use. Then I stumbled upon a site that showed how to make diapers from old t-shirts. I loved the idea of taking all of my husbands old shirts and making them into something new!

Now every time I look at a t-shirt I see so many endless possibilities! Because of t-shirts and my imagination I have yet to buy a birthday gift for any of my kids friends this year. For my daughters friend I made a purse from a shirt and the 2 other parties we attended I sewed capes for the little boys. I have started sewing most of the pants that Taj and Peylyn wear since we are using new (very fluffy) cloth diapers. Their other pants just won't fit over these diapers.

Here is the ugly camouflage shirt that Perry brought home the other day:


These are the pants that were made from the sleeves and the cape (too big for Taj, I made it to sell on my Etsy page) that came from the body.


I am fortunate to live in an area that is loaded with thrift stores and I love to go out and find "the perfect" shirt.

Even if you don't sew there are still so many things to do with a t-shirt. I am currently knitting a table runner with yarn that I made from cutting up t-shirts, I'll update on that when I am done. Plus, there are numerous sites and also books that I have gotten from the library on ways to repurpose old shirts.

Best of all my children see how I can take something that no one wants any more and give it a new life. Zola says that I am an artist of using t-shirts and that she hopes to be like me one day. If she only knew that she and the others are my inspiration and I strive to be as joyful and imaginative as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment