Monday, March 29, 2010

No Pooing

Seriously, this has nothing to do with being constipated! You can give up your shampoo and conditioner and not have to have dreadlocks to do it. Have you ever taken a look at the ingredients on a conventional bottle of shampoo or conditioner? How many of those words were you able to pronounce? If you are already educated in how terrible these ingredients are for your health then I am sure that you have shopped for the really expensive "natural" hair products.

Guess what, there is another, more affordable and much healthier way to clean your hair. All you need is baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

You can google "no poo" and you will find many links to applying and mixing, but here is what I have found works for me:

I do have short hair so I only use about a half of a tablespoon of the baking soda in a small cup. To this I add a little water to make a paste that is applied to wet hair. I rub this into my scalp for a minute or two, some days longer when I am really stressed and a good head massage feels so good. Then rinse. After this I squirt my premixed 1 part apple cider vinegar to 4 parts water making sure to saturate my hair and rub it all through. I let this sit for a minute or so before rinsing. I find that I do not need to wash my hair everyday with the baking soda (and yes I do use hair products) but I do use a daily rinse of the apple cider vinegar. I just dry and style as I normally would. Some people have stated that there is an adjustment period for their hair, but I have never really noticed this. My only issue is that when I have found myself in a position of not having my "no pooing" supplies and I needed to wash my hair with regular shampoo my hair looks awful!!! I feel it takes me about 3 washings with "no poo" to get all of that residue out of my hair.

Give it a try, I love it and I use it on all of the kids (well those that have hair). I am still working on converting Perry, but now the our local grocery store has stopped carrying his favorite $8 bottle of shampoo I may have more luck. It is a comforting thought knowing the 2 ingredients that I am putting on my head on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment