Monday, February 1, 2010

All I Can Say is WOW...

OK, so my husband was not completely on board when I came home from the hospital and officially became a tandem nurser. Well, this evening over dinner he was telling me about his day at work. Some how one of the guys in the feed mill and him got on the topic of breastfeeding (let me note that this guys wife had to have her baby at 30 weeks due to issues with preeclampsia) and this young guy stated that breastfeeding was stupid and a pain in the ass. Now as far as I know he has yet to breastfeed, but maybe I am wrong. Anyway, he went on to tell my husband that his wife stopped breastfeeding (their very premature baby) because it was just too time consuming.

My husband would have ended the conversation there except for the fact that this young guy went on to tell Perry (my husband) how disgusting it is that I am nursing two children at once. He asked if I knew what kind of damage I was doing to Taj by still nursing him at this age (he isn't even two yet). My husband went on to tell him about all of the health benefits that there are from extended nursing and that it is a fact that children that are nursed do better in school. Plus, not only is it not disgusting, I am a great mom that listens to her gut and not what all of the people around me say.

This kid laughed at the issue of health benefits because he has a niece that is breastfed (obviously this makes him an expert) and is sick all of the time. Perry told him to look at all of the other crap that they are shoving down her throat.

All I can say is wow...I guess that when push comes to shove Perry really does have my back and that is a great thing to know. I hate to think that I am out here all alone. I always knew that he did really respect the fact that I was so passionate about breastfeeding, but it is great to know that he does actually support my choice to tandem nurse (even if he is just now excepting it).

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!! How wondeful that not only did Perry go there and defend you and your family's beliefs, but he told you about it :)

    ReplyDelete