Sunday, February 14, 2010

Celebrating Taj

Today is February 22nd, Taj's 2nd birthday, and I am feeling a need to write down my birth story for Taj.

Anyway, it was Friday February 22, 2008 and right after I fed the kids breakfast I had my bloody show and I knew that this was the day (only 1 week past my due date). I started cleaning like a mad woman since I knew I would be calling the midwife over shortly. As I cleaned the contractions got stronger. Soon they were getting a little uncomfortable so I decided to hop into the shower where they grew even stronger so I asked Perry to call the midwife and my birthing assistant.

They both showed up within the hour and came in and started to set everything up. Since this was my 3rd home birth I knew what worked for me so I pretty much barricaded myself in the bathroom so that I could have peace and quiet. Also, true to form I sent Perry downstairs to watch tv. Zola and Ajay had already been picked up by their aunt to go out for lunch. This part really wasn't part of the plan, I wanted them to stay around but she had called to see if we all wanted to get together for lunch. I sent them with her to get them out of the house for a bit thinking they would be back before I had the baby. Oh well, I think maybe it was best it worked out this way.

Even though this was my 3rd home birth this was my first with midwives, the first two were assisted by an OB GYN in PA. This was the coolest birthing experience I have had! They completely left me to do what felt right and natural, except for the few times they wanted to listen to his heartbeat. This was ok since I had a Bollywood movie playing on my tv so I didn't mind going into my room once in awhile. Anyway, I loved it because in stead of being constantly checked to see what kind of progress I was making and being told that I could push, they just sat, watched and waited.

At 3:00 in the afternoon I finally emerged from my bathroom with a popsicle (I had been sucking on these things my entire labor) in my hand and said that I was ready to push (at this point the birthing assistant went down and woke up Perry lol). My water had yet to break, but the midwife said to go ahead and push. Well, as I began to push it did break, ALL OVER the midwife! Nice, I am in the final stages and I can't stop apologizing to her. I have to admit it was kind of funny and luckily she was able to laugh it off as well.

Finally, I got back on track with my pushing. We did have to try a few different positions as my soon be born 8lb. 6oz baby was getting a little stuck.

3:35 the midwife told me to reach down and deliver my baby (we had no idea what the sex was). Bringing the baby up to my chest a complete sense of calm came over to me, I just sat there for the longest time looking at this new face. Finally, Perry who was sitting behind me, asked "can we finally see if we have a boy or a girl?" I laughed and told him "You have a new son!"

Shortly after Taj was nursing and Perry was in the kitchen making me a yummy meal of scrambled eggs, toast and orange juice.

The entire day was so quiet and a truly magical way for a baby to enter into the world, well with the exception of me bathing the midwife in amniotic fluid!

1 comment: