Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hey, it's all in the name of God.

I was seriously disturbed yesterday by something I witnessed on facebook and even more disturbed that I wasted 5 minutes of my life that I will never get back reading this crap. Someone posted a comment to start a "debate" when in fact there was no debate. I personally believe that someone was bored and was looking to stir things up a bit. The comments that were posted after were truly disgusting and it saddens me that people even took part in this. They were bashing each other and calling each other names, but apparently it was ok because it was all in the name of God.
Wow, this "Christian way" really amazes me. I can't wrap my head around how people think that their God is ok with them being so hateful towards people, judging them for their choices and having no forgiveness in their hearts. You know who you are, you are the people that speed around me on the street and then give me the finger because apparently I was holding you up from getting to your church group. By the way, nice "What Would Jesus Do?" bumper sticker!

I think I need to find this bumper sticker for my van.

It just really saddens me that people think that treating others like this is ok because they feel they are doing it for their God. This is one reason that I feel fine with my choice to raise my children outside of the church. We occasionally attend the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in town, but that is mainly because I feel that it is important to have a sense of community. My kids are great people that do not judge others or ever try to intentionally hurt people. They aren't like this because they fear God, they have turned out amazing because I strive to raise awesome human beings that respect all living things. I recently read the book "Good Without God" by Greg Epstein that really helped me to feel even more secure in my choices, it really is worth checking out.

I totally respect people for the faith that they have and wanting to pass that faith onto their children, my problem lies when people start to think that they are God and that they have the right to judge others who may be in a situation that they have no understanding of.

"Love is always patient and kind; it is never jealous, love is never boastful or conceited; it is never rude or selfish; it does not take offense, and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins but delights in the truth; it is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes. Love does not come to an end."

No comments:

Post a Comment