Friday, November 5, 2010

What a Waste!!!

So, I finally convinced Perry that we were going to start buying raw milk. Well, not really because he only agreed to this if I promised not to give it to the kids in anything that hasn't been cooked. This I find really funny considering he grew up on a dairy farm and consumed raw milk every day of his life. Oh well, I agreed to this, for now.

First, let me say that beyond the health benefits of consuming raw milk, there really is a world of difference! Wednesday night I scooped the cream off of the top and put it in a separate container to use for making alfredo sauce and some other stuff. Holy cow (no pun intended) today I made scrambled eggs for lunch with fresh organic eggs and the raw cream. I was blown away by the taste! I am not the biggest fan of eggs but I eat them for protein and normally I have to drench them in cheese to get them down. I could not get over just the aroma that came from my pan as they were cooking, it was so sweet and buttery compared to when I make them with conventional milk. Then I took a little bite before I threw my shredded cheese over top and I could not believe it. These were the best tasting eggs, EVER!!!!!! I put the cheese right back into the fridge and ate my yummy eggs with just a dash of salt and pepper.

So that part of my day was great, now for the really sucky part.

First thing after I dropped Zola and Ajay off at school I rushed back to the house to start making yogurt from my "new" milk. I came down to the computer to see if there was anything different that I needed to be aware of. I have been making really yummy yogurt from my pasturized milk so I was sure that I wouldn't have a problem. The only difference that I read was that the raw yogurt may be a little runnier. Fine, no problem, I was probably just going to make half of it into yochee anyway so the runniness would be strained off.

Wrong!!! First of all my yogurt was not just runny, it was down right snotty and gross. I am not sure where I went wrong but I had chunks of yogurt floating around in LOTS of whey, yuck. So, I thought I could totally save this and strain it. Wrong again!!! After it had been straining over night I woke up to a gritty ball of nastiness that I am half afraid to eat.

It is hilarious that I feel almost as bad about throwing this milk out as I would throwing out my breastmilk. If anyone has any suggestions, please tell me. I am dying to try raw yogurt and hoping to move on to raw kefir.

No comments:

Post a Comment