Sunday, October 31, 2010

Why Felted Wool Sweaters Rock!!!!

I am in love with felting wool sweaters to make awesome new creations!! I love the naturalness of wool items and being able to sew instead of knit gives this very impatient mama the instant gratification I crave.

I just wanted to share some of my recent creations...

Kindle Cover

Diaper Cover

Skirted Diaper Cover

Hat (made from the turtle neck of the same sweater I made the skirt)

Felting your old wool sweaters is so easy, basically you just throw the sweater into the washing machine with a little soap and hot water and then run it through the dryer (ok, so there is a little bit more to it than that). The biggest tip I can give (trust me I learned from experience) is to put your sweater into a mesh laundry bag, otherwise you wind up with balls of wool all through your machine. I can't imagine that this is great for the machine.

The greatest thing is that now you are able to cut it apart without it falling apart making it very easy to sew into any project your heart desires. After I had already make the kids lunch bags for their bento boxes the thought hit me to make them from felted sweaters! Lanolize and keep any moisture from leaking into their back packs. Oh well, they will have the same lunch boxes next year. I have been toying with the idea of making reusable snack bags from felted wool shirts too. I would really like to stay away from using PUL for their food carrying bags. I don't mind using it in diapers, but food is a completely different thing. I'll have to play around with this idea and update.

1 comment:

  1. Thomasa, that diaper cover you made is absolutely gorgeous!! Great work! I'm jealous..

    ReplyDelete