Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I will never shop at another yarn store!

I was beyond proud as I finished my very first large knitting project, the babywearing poncho picture here. Before this it was all wash cloths, blankets, simple hats and 2 knit lightsabers for Ajay and his friend. So, filled with my knitting confidence I went to Iris (a local yarn store) to search for a pattern for a friend so that I could start on a new knitting adventure.

First of all, God bless the woman that owns it for never batting an eye lash when I walk in there with my large crew of 4 kids. I tend to shy away from stores like this with my kids after we were treated pretty nasty once at another yarn shop. My kids were even on their best behavior that day, she is just anti child. Anyway, we walk in and I tell her what I am after and she leads us to where we need to find it.

As she is answering my questions, she is not only acknowledging that my children are talking to her but is completely engaging in a conversation with them. The kids were interested in the store because it used to be house. She was telling them all about how people used to live in the back and have a store in the front, took them around showing them the kitchen and bathroom. Even naming the body parts on Taj's Triceratops as Taj was pointing them out to her. Plus, on top of all of this she is so patiently explaining to me how this sweater will knit up.

We have had many occasions where we go into a store or other place of business and feel like people just want to rush me and all of my kids out of there. All that really accomplishes is making me feel like I never want to walk back into those places.

I walked out of the store and called my mom (who also loves to shop there when she is in town) and told her that we will only be shopping at this store for now on.

It is funny that we all start out as children yet so many people just don't seem to have the patience to deal with them as they get older. Thank goodness for the special people out there that take the time to not only see and hear our children but who also take the time to teach as well.

This world needs a lot more people like the kind women at Iris.

2 comments:

  1. They really are beyond fantastic there. All of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to second this. I don't go anywhere else locally either. I am so spoiled by such sweet, knowledgeable staff and the ability to take my kids in without feeling out of place. Love Iris!

    ReplyDelete