Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fun in the Sun

The kids and I had a great day today. On our way to return a really over due library book, the exit we had to take off of the highway was closed. So I called a friend to give me some detour instructions. I got a little lost and Zola blurts out "Mom you are going south so you have to turn around." She gets a little panicked when she thinks we are lost and starts yelling out directions. I said "No I am heading west and that is where I need to be going." So this started up an entire conversation about the sun and how you can tell your direction or what time of day it is. Ajay, the creator of many things decided that we needed to make a sundial so that he would always know what time it is when he is playing outside.

For once I decided to not say "Sure, we'll do that one day," and instead make today that day.

So after we got back from the library and a new playground, we got to work (well, after Taj and Peylyn were down for their naps). We got on the computer and googled sundials and found some great info and directions on the BBC sight here.

I wanted to make it more sturdy than what they were showing so I pulled out a piece of wood that Zola brought home from summer school last year and we decided that it would be perfect.


We made the markings on the wood with a razor blade and then filled in the lines and marked the numbers with a marker. Then we traced the gnomon onto cardboard and cut it out so that it would be more sturdy. We wrapped it in tape and nailed it to the base.


The only thing that I was lacking for this project was a compass (and sadly that was a pretty important part). But I pulled out my cell phone and got the time and placed our fantastic sundial on the ground so that the shadow was on the right hour. I couldn't have been too far off because it kept pretty good time all afternoon and best of all, my kids were beyond thrilled.


Then, this evening I got to have my own fun in the sun. For a rare treat I was able to go to the movies with a friend and enjoy the movie "Eclipse." Ah yes, it was a good day had by all. I must add that after Twilight I was a total "Team Edward" fan, but New Moon and Eclipse have definitely put me on the "Team Jacob" benches. I don't know if I can stand to wait until November 2011 for the first part of Breaking Dawn to come out! They better get part 2 out before December 2012, otherwise no one will be around to watch it! LOL!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment