Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fond Memories of Mother's Day

Well, first let me wish every mom a very happy Mother's Day! This day is so special to me and not just for all of the celebrating that I am a mom kind of reasons. On Mother's Day 6 years ago I gave birth to my first son, Ajay. His is probably the most dramatic of all of my birth stories with lots of humorous moments. First of all it was bad enough since I was still living in PA and Perry was working and staying with his sister in VA preparing for our move down there.

So on May 8th when I thought I was going into labor after calling my Dr. my next call was to Perry. He had taken on a job at Bonefish Grill for health insurance (since he was moving to VA to work in real estate) and it was his first night. I called and asked to speak with him, the owner got on the phone to tell me that he was working to which I replied "Fine, when he gets a moment why don't you tell him that his wife is in labor." His boss put him on the phone pretty quick after that.

So, Perry raced up to Lewistown only to find that I really wasn't progressing. The Dr. decided to head home for the evening and said he would be back early in the morning so Perry and I snuggled up for a long night of no sleep. Yes, it was our own bed as Ajay was baby number 2 to be born on S. Main St. The next morning Nelly (the nurse) and Kim (nurse and doula) showed up and Dr. Custer was soon to follow. He checked me and I really hadn't progressed at all over night so we discussed some options. Since Perry was living in VA I really wasn't up for risking the chance of him not making it back in time if he left. So I decided to go ahead and allow him to induce me.

So at about 9 am Dr. Custer inserted a pill vaginally (sorry it was 6 years ago, I can't remember the name) and told me to get a good breakfast and to call when I felt the contractions were getting stronger. Since this was Mother's Day, Perry asked where I wanted to go for my Mother's Day breakfast. Of course if you know anything about breakfast in Lewistown, PA you head to the Honey Creek Inn (french toast is there best item on the menu!). So off we went and funny enough there was Kim (nurse and doula) also enjoying a Mother's Day breakfast with her family. We also ran into a few other people we knew that could not believe it when the asked "when are you due" and I replied "well, I was induced this morning so hopefully I will meet him in a few hours." Geesh, if I was induced in a hospital I don't know if I would have a shot in hell at heading out to a restaurant for breakfast!

So after breakfast we headed back home and relaxed as much as we could. I believe that it was somewhere around noon that I called the Dr. to come back over since the contractions were starting to come more regularly. I remember spending most of my labor in the bathroom alone, conentrating and trying to deal with the pain while Perry, Nelly, Kim and Dr. Custer sat in our bedroom watching a movie. I could not believe how much worse the pain was from my labor with Zola. At some point I finally came out, crying to Perry that I just couldn't deal with the pain any longer and I did allow the Dr. to give me a shot for the pain. I still knew when I was contracting but it just took the edge off. Obviously not a decision that sits well with me, but I did what I felt I needed to do to get through it. About an hour after that I felt that it was time to push, and it did not take very long to deliver my beautiful 6 lb. 9 oz. baby boy into the world.

Ajay Micheal Lee Meinnert was the most amazinge Mother's Day gift I could ever wish to receive. To this day the boy amazes me! He is funny, smart and has such a beautiful soul. I see so much of myself when I look at him. Most importantly, he is such a compassionate person. He makes me proud every day that I was blessed to be his mom.

I hope that every mom out there has a fantastic Mother's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment