Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dear Corn, it is scary what they have done to you.

I am still trying to figure out why my husband bought these last week. I don't like them, the kids said they looked gross and Perry said he doesn't like them.
Would it be weird to put Corn Flakes on Freecycle?

Well, at least they stand true to their name! Milled Corn, Malt Flavoring (which can be derived from barley or corn and my guess is it is corn here), High Fructose Corn Syrup (corn) Also noticed that it says BHT has been added to the packaging. I had to google BHT and that is certainly an interesting read, YUCK!!!

I finally got around to seeing the film "Food, Inc." this week when they had it on PBS. I was already aware of how frightening things have become when it comes to meat, thus I do not eat it. But the entire corn issue really blew me away...

When they posted a list of all of the food additives that were once corn I was completely shocked! Call me crazy, but I had actually thought that when a list of ingredients said citric acid I thought that it came from a citrus fruit. Oh no, it comes from corn because that makes sense. Right?

So after being completely disgusted that even the vitamin E that is added to my food comes from corn I had to get on the computer and start reading. It is unbelievable the number of ways that they have discovered how to manipulate this grain into some seriously terrible stuff for our bodies. Even more unbelievable are the lists of non food things that are some how related to corn that you can check out HERE.

We have been avoiding High Fructose Corn Syrup like the plague for a long time (OK minus this box of cereal, when I pointed it out to him after he brought it home he said "Really, they even put it in cereal?" I guess I need to do the shopping from now on.) but now I am on a new mission. I am going to the store with my list of corn additives and unless it should be in the food (ie corn or corn chips) I am passing on it. The scariest part of all of the corn products in our food is that you know it is not organic and is probably genetically modified to grow bigger and faster. UGH!!!!!

If you have yet to see the movie "Food, Inc." I highly recommend it, it will change the way you look at everything on your plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment