Thursday, September 23, 2010

Montessori Dreams

This evening I went into my kids school for an annual parents night, this is where the teachers explain what is going on around the class room for new and returning parents of Montessori kids. Can I just say how much I love being in my kids classroom...All of the natural wood, colors and I love the minimalist look in a room that is so organized. I strive for my house to look like this after the great de-clutter project.

Every time I enter their classroom I leave praying that Perry will win the lottery so that I can have all of these awesome learning materials. Looking around, I do not understand why mainstream classrooms aren't using some of these tools as well. I think that I might have done so much better in math if maybe I had been given the opportunity to have a hands on experience of like this. Maybe I would have a better grasp of measurements if I had had a Cuisenaire Rods set.


Oh well, I do what I can. I search yard sales and every birthday and every other gift giving holiday I am asking the Grandparents for Montessori learning tools and soon I am even going to attempt to make my own. I found this great link for making my own sandpaper alphabet here and I can't wait to get started on this for Taj's 3rd birthday present. For Christmas I decided that the kids get one thing bought and one item that I made. Zola has already asked for a ring sling for her American Girl doll, but I am thinking that Ajay will be receiving a moveable alphabet that I am going to attempt to make. Luckily I have my moms husband that can make the box with all of the squares to put the letters in.

Actually, I am very excited about the changes I am making around our home. We are gathering small amounts of Montessori tools and I am also trying to incorporate more Waldorf concepts as well. This weekend the kids and I will be decorating gnomes for Peylyn's birthday doll house. I can't wait to show you how these turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment